Through root canal treatment, we can repair a tooth that is decayed or infected and save it from being extracted. It treats the infection or inflammation in the root of a tooth. Our dentist will remove the infected tissues and fill the resulting space with an inert material. The treatment ends the discomfort and relieves any pain caused by the inflammation.
Signs and Symptoms of a Root Canal Infection
The symptoms of root canal infection include prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold foods or drinks, pain, swelling, tenderness to the touch, and discoloration of the tooth.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
Many dental patients choose root canal treatment over tooth extraction because of how quick the procedure is and how effective the results can be. Some of the benefits of a root canal are:
- Improved oral health
- Lowered risk of gum disease
- Fewer dental visits
- Increased confidence
Procedure for Getting a Root Canal
The steps of a root canal treatment are as follows:
1. The dentist will numb the tooth and place a dental dam to isolate and keep it clean and dry during treatment.
2. The infected nerves and pulp of the tooth are removed and the tooth is reshaped.
3. The dentist thoroughly cleans your tooth and the root canals.
4. They fill the root canals with a rubber-like material and place a temporary filling.
5. A follow-up appointment is scheduled to evaluate the healing and to determine if the tooth is restored.
6. A crown may be placed over the tooth to protect it from further chances of decay.
What to Expect After Root Canal Treatment
After a root canal, it’s normal to feel some slight discomfort or sensitivity. To help you manage any pain, you may need some medication, which can be prescribed by the dentist. Specific care instructions are also provided to the patient, which should be followed for faster healing. However, if the patient experiences severe pain, they should visit the dentist at the earliest.
Phoenix Family Dentistry, located in Phoenix, AZ, has the best dentists and is equipped with modern technologies that enable the best dental care services for our patients. To know more about root canal treatments, call us at (602) 755-6684 and schedule an appointment with our dentist.